9/7/14

All About That Bass= New Blurred Lines?

Hello my sweets!

Meghan Trainor's hot summer jam is being compared to Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines, and on one hand I can see why: after all it has been one of the seasons' most radio blasted songs, and it also has lyrics that make some uncomfortable. 

Now this isn't exactly new, but many of you wanted my input on the topic, so here it is: 

On a scale of 1 to 10 concerning horrible lyrics, Blurred Lines being a creepy rape-y 10, AATB is maybe a 5. Here is why: 

 "Boys like a little more booty to hold at night" 

The idea in this lyric is that you should love your body because men will. 
Meghan, pumpkin, you should love your body because you love your body. Looking for approval from others is pathetic and can only lead to heartache. 

Also another good point the critics have made is that this song is a bit of a thin shaming anthem. I am not even a very skinny girl and I am ass deficient, so hearing that boys aren't gonna wanna snuggle with me does not make me feel like every inch of me is perfect from the bottom to the top. 

I obviously get the general self love message of this song, I really do. But when Hollywwod decides to put out a self love song just to appeal to the insecure masses it makes my blood boil even more. If you want to make girls feel beautiful, cater to everyone, of all shapes and sizes. 

That's my quick opinion, y'all! Have an awesome week. 

Gabby 

No comments:

Post a Comment